TGIF! Who else is ready for the weekend? Today I am excited to launch a mini series on date nights. Over the next couple months I will be sharing a few date night ideas correlated to date night outfits. Some will be dressy, some will be casual, but I wanted to share some ideas on fun things to do with your significant other. Cody and I always try to make date night a priority. After a busy week, it can be hard to find the time and energy for a night alone, but I think that time is really valuable.
Here are a few date night ideas for a dressier but casual night with your beau:
1. Staycations! Exploring your own city can be just as exciting as traveling. Sometimes Cody and I pack up for the night and just see where the evening takes us. Hotels in Utah frequently offer major discounts to state residents especially in the off seasons (I’m not sure if all states do that, but I would assume they do). This makes it an easy, affordable way for a mini getaway. Also one of my friends recently introduced me to an app called Hotel Tonight, you can only book your stay the day of, but because of the last minute booking you get a larger discount than apps like Priceline. Our favorite staycation spot: Montage – Park City
2. Exploring New Restaurants. Cody and I love eating out. I think it’s easy to get into a routine and only go to a few of your favorite spots so force yourself to find something new. To keep things interesting Cody and I take turns deciding on what new restaurants to try. Yelp is always our go to for finding new places. Honestly we have hit some bad spots, but most of the time we end up finding a new place we love. In addition to great food, being a patron of such a wide variety of restaurants makes us feel more connected to the community.
3. Hot Chocolate Tour: Treats are our weakness! Cody and I especially love hot chocolate. One night he got the idea to try as many hot chocolate places as we could. We went to like six or seven different spots from restaurants, to coffee shops and candy stores. Admittedly I couldn’t drink hot chocolate for like two weeks after but it was one of my favorite nights. If hot chocolate isn’t your thing, pick a favorite treat you enjoy together, wine tasting, cupcakes, donuts, any treat will do. Our favorite hot chocolate: Hatch Family Chocolates
4. Comedy Shows: We all know laughter is the best medicine. It releases endorphins and creates a special mood between you and your partner. Whatever your taste in humor, there is such a wide variety of comedy and shows that you are bound to find something you enjoy, whether it be improv, stand up, or even musical comedy productions, enjoy a night laughing together.
5. The Drive In: I hope you are lucky enough to have a drive-in theatre near you – it is a perfect compromise when one wants to go to the movies and the other wants to stay in. Advantages include: new releases, big screens, audience atmosphere, the privacy and comfort of your car, no guilt about smuggling your own treats, easier to cuddle, controlling the volume, and the only person who can shush or be shushed is your date.
Dressing for the Occasion
While these activities don’t require formal attire, I love dressing up a little for date night. Layering a boat-neck knit
over a long blouse
is a great way to feature both pieces without distracting from the uniqueness of each one. These distressed skinny jeans add a much-needed balance to an otherwise feminine and overly dressy outfit. To complete the look, I wore nude heel, this animal print clutch, and minimal jewelry. These few basic finishes are the perfect way to achieve an effortlessly dressy casual date night look.
Below are a few more neutral favorites for your date night look: