*In collaboration with Olay.
You don’t realize how contagious your attitude is until you spend 24/7 around someone 😜so now more than ever is the time to practice self-care, both for you and for the people around you! I heard a quote recently that seemed pretty applicable to life right now: “Self-care is giving the world the best of you, not what’s left of you.” Even though we might not be out and about right now, it really starts at home. I’ve noticed when I take a few minutes to get ready in the morning or indulge in a hot bubble bath at night, it starts my day and night off on the right foot. Forget the spa or gym – here are a few ways to add some self-care to your routine with just a few spare minutes throughout the day.
- Gratitude Journaling: I have loved seeing everyone focus on what they are grateful for lately instead of counting all the ways their life is hard! If you’re new to journaling, I just got the kids a 5-minute journal which has prompts so they can just add a few notes about their days’ highlights. If your day starts off on the wrong foot, take a minute to list out everything you are grateful for. It can be the big things like your home or your health, or little things like still having a box of your favorite cereal in the pantry. Listing them out makes you appreciate whatever you have and can completely change your day around.
- Face masks: As much as I love indulging in a full fledged facial, I do face masks at home on the regular. It’s a great pick-me-up for your skin, but also a mood boost to bring a little luxury to your day.
- Moisturize: The silver lining of being stuck at home is giving your chance a break from makeup, but make sure you don’t get lax on your skincare regimen! It can be tempting to skip straight from cleansing to moisturizer, but now is the perfect excuse to be diligent with every step of your skincare routine, because you’ll be able to see the results! I’ve been using the Olay Deep Hydration Serum with Vitamin B3 + Hyaluronic Acid. Apply several drops of your serum right after you cleanse and tone so it can penetrate your skin better. I love hyaluronic acid and always notice a difference in my skin when I apply it, both in fine lines and hydration! This Olay serum is super hydrating and feels like a cool drink of water on your skin (also doesn’t greasy feel and is free of parabens, phthalates, and synthetic dyes) Seal in your skincare products with a quartz roller – another luxurious touch to make it feel like you’ve been at the spa.
(My before and after adding the Deep Hydration Serum to my routine, untouched. Olay’s Real Skin Promise is zero retouching for skin on any of their images! They are the first brand I’ve heard about doing something like this and I love it! So transparent and a great way to embrace all skin types.)
- Meditation + Stretching: Everybody has their own go-to ways of meditation throughout the day. I love pairing it with a good stretch session and lighting one of my favorite candle. It’s amazing what a little aromatherapy and stretching can do for your mind and body!
- Disconnect from Social Media: I think social media is an amazing way to stay connected and build relationships, but it’s also important to know when to disconnect. It’s actually better for your sleeping habits if you can disconnect before bedtime, but also good for relationships too. Cody and I have a no phones rule at meal time and always turn off our phones off before bed so we can focus on spending quality time together.
- A Bubble Bath: My faaavorite! Honestly this has become a nightly routine for me for a while. It’s my number one way to relax and those few minutes to myself always help me reset after a long day. If you usually opt for a fast shower over a long bath, it couldn’t be better timing to dip your toe in (literally haha). You might love it! I love adding a good bath bomb and always add baby oil to my bath to make my skin super soft. You can also add epsom salts – super soothing to help you get a better night’s sleep.